YouTube is a free video-sharing website that makes it easy to watch online videos. You can even create and upload your own videos to share with others. Originally created in 2005, YouTube is now owned by Google and is considered the 2nd largest search engine in the world. Visitors watch around 6 billion hours of video every month.
The site allows users to upload, view, and share videos, and it makes use of Adobe Flash Video and HTML5 technology to display a wide variety of user-generated and corporate media video. Available content includes video clips, TV clips, music videos, and other content such as video blogging, short original videos, and educational videos.
One reason YouTube is so popular is the sheer number of videos you can find. On average, 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute, so there’s always something new to find! And you’ll find all kinds of videos on YouTube—adorable cats, quirky cooking demos, funny science lessons, quick fashion tips, and a whole lot more.
- 1 billion – People use YouTube
- 4 billion – YouTube’s 2014 revenue
- 4 billion – Video Views on YouTube per day
- 6 billion – Hours of Video watched per month
Another reason YouTube is so popular: It’s all about user-generated content. Instead of videos from major TV networks and movie studios, you’ll find amazing and creative videos made by people just like you. And YouTube isn’t a one-way street—you can jump in, record and share your own videos, and become a part of the community.
The Power of Video – Video has become the Most IMPORTANT source of CONTENT
- 85% of the US internet audience watch videos online (Mist Media)
- Videos are shared 1200% more times than links and text combined. (Orion21)
- Internet video traffic will be 69% of all global consumer Internet traffic in 2017 (Cisco)
- Companies are spending billions on video – $10 billion in 2015.